Emerging TechnologyIn this 'day and age' technology is a large part of our everyday life. Just look at the impact the mobile phone has had on our life. The phone started as a expensive fixed device in our houses that we used to communicate with people. It saved time from having to physically meet everyone face to face.
Now the phone is mobile, cheap and smart. Has this device really improved our lives? Has the standard of living really improved for people? Are people just becoming less social and more like walking zombies engaged just with a 5 inch screen and 'zoned out' from the rest of the world?
These questions are what we need to ask in this unit.
We look at emerging technologies that are about to enter the market.
We evaluate where they come from and what they do that was not done before. Some emerging technologies replace existing technologies, some work with and add functionality and some do something new.
Examples of technologies previous students have looked at are :-
- Raspberry Pi
- Google Glass
- 3D Printing
- Exo Skeleton (for fire fighting)
- Ultra HD TV
- Wearable Tech (smart phones, rings etc)
- Bio Implants
- Graphene tech
- Self drive cars
- Quantum computing
- Fog Computing
- Explain this technology and explain how it is used.
- Find a YouTube (or similar video clip) explaining this new technology.
- Look at the impact on society, how does this tech impact on our lives?
- Ethical implications, how does this technology impact ethically in our lives?
- What does this technology replace (if anything)?
- Where does this technology evolve from